
Episode #48
3 Broad Street Walker, Evans, and Cogswell Building
Walker, Evans & Cogswell Building Constructed 1853-54: rehabilitation 1983-84 Edward C. Jones and Francis Lee. architects James P. and R. Earl. contractors This building was constrcuted for Edward Sebring, president of the State Bank next door. Four stories tall. 3 Broad is made of Charleston grey brick laid in Flemish bond with brownstone cornice and sills on the basket-arched windows of the upper levels. A bracketed cornice of pressed metal extends across the parapet roofline. The Italianate style of the building was a popular one in Charleston in the 1850s. and it was a style in which Jones & Lee excelled. Its first occupants were bookseller Samuel G. Courtenay, on the first floor, and publishers Walker & James, on the upper floors. In 1856, the building was acquired by Walker Evans & Cogswell, printers and publishers. This firm was founded in 1821 by John C. Walker. who was later joined by his brothers Joseph and Alexander. First located at 15 Broad St.. the stationary and bookbinding business moved in 1837 to present-day 117 East Bay. Meanwhile, in 1850, Joseph Walker partnered with Robert James in the firm, Walker & James, book publishers, the first tenants here. In 1852, John Walker and Benjamin F. Evans became partners as Walker & Evans. Three years later, Evans' brother-in-law Harvey Cogswell joined the partnership and it was renamed Walker, Evans & Cogswell. The business has retained that name ever since, though Walker became a silent partner role in 1860. Walker, Evans & Cogswell purchased 3 Broad St. and joined it in the rear with 117 East Bay to form a single L-shaped building. The company was retained as printers to the Secession Convention, printing the minutes of the convention and the documents that communicated the secession to other Southern states. The Ordinance of Secession was lithographed here. During the war, the firm printed small denomination currency, government bonds, the Soldier's Prayer Book, books on war tactics, stamps and medical books for the Confederacy When the Union blockade tightened around Charleston and Union shells began to land in the city (one hit the State Bank next door), the firm moved to Columbia, where it continued printing Confederate documents and money until Columbia fell to Gen. Sherman in February 1865. After the war, the firm returned to Charleston, relocating at Meeting and Market streets for two years before moving back to 3 Broad St In 1909, a two-story printing plant was built to the south of the older buildings at East Bay and Elliott streets. The firm continued to occupy this building until 1982, when the property was sold

